Sunday, May 31, 2009

Being Corteous just isn't the Malaysians way- generally



I think Rapid KL should put this in the bus!

I've been commuting the Light-Rail Transit and bus to work for the past few weeks, and I noticed something that I never would have notice while commuting as a tourist previously.

While queuing up to board the bus(which I'm glad people do queue), I was confused when a middle age woman (aged around 40 something to 50 something) standing in front of me in the queue, asked me to go ahead, while she continue to stand in the queue. At that time, I thought: "maybe she is waiting for someone." But that is not the case, as I was about to find out the truth, some days later.

While queuing, I overheard the conversations between the senior citizens couple. The uncle said:" cannot lar, the queue so long, I can't stand for the whole journey!" Then his wife replied:" queue 1st lar, if really no seat, wait for the next bus lar!" Finally, I know why some of these people just skip this round of the bus, because they can't bear to stand for the whole journey.

While I admired their independence and their "not using their senior citizen status to get advantage" (there is a proverb in cantonese "yi lou mai lou"), I wonder whether it's because they know people just aren't courteous enough to give away seats to them. I got to prove this point when an aunty, who boarded the bus, but found no place to sit, told her teenage companion who just sit down: "I have to go down, I can't stand for the whole journey." Oh my god! Even the companion doesn't offer her the seat?! Then what can be expected from a perfect stranger?

I'm not trying to say that I'm a saint, in fact, I'm a bit reluctant to offer my seat and stand for the one hour bus ride. But deep in my conscience, I felt the need to be just a little bit more courteous, and this is my point, "Please be a little more courteous!".. Maybe we can put the poster in the bus too!

2 comments:

mknace unlimited said...

:|
good point buttt...
i never seen a place where malaysian really following the sign

Unknown said...

haha..well occasionally maybe..I did saw once in lrt, when a guy gave his seat to a senior citizen..

I guess the "Aren't you courteous" sticker played his part XD

Sudoku Made Easy