Saturday, May 3, 2008

Reviving Komtar,



Though I am no Penangites, but I still feel for the current state of condition of Komtar. Recently Komtar has been in the news, with plans to revive it. I certainly hope they have a plan that really work.

When I was younger, I was really anxious to visit Komtar, with their tallest building status, and the majestic view of it even from far. It was the pride of not just Penangites, but also Malaysians, though I'm not sure how many people share my sentiment.

But in recent years, or maybe longer, I cannot find any reason to drop by that area anymore. I will still go to the Prangin Mall there, but certainly, that mall is not the most glamorous place that cannot be missed. And the main building... looks old, deserted, and has no match to any other shopping complex in Penang. Komtar certainly need a facelift, if not maybe they can transform it into a museum. But there are certainly some of the things that should remain, like the clock showing time of some of the major cities in the world, but at lease, with a touch of modern impression and brightness. I don't understand why it is a bit darker inside there, maybe because there are so less stalls to light up the mall.

I read from the newspaper that, Komtar masterplan was meant to prevent the inner city from becoming an urban slum. For this, I'm really impressed with former Chief Minister Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu's vision. From what I observed, urban slum happened in many major towns, but nothing has been done by those state or town council. Whether these town councilors do not have the vision of Tun Dr Lim, or it is another failed implementation of a great plan.

No comments:

Sudoku Made Easy